Believe you can and you’re halfway there ― Theodore Roosevelt
Boosting self-confidence isn’t a quick trick. It’s something that happens slowly and organically. A short term jump in self confidence, for example someone paying you a complement, may make you feel more confident now, but without building a more confident mindset, this will be a short term improvement. Our goal is to make lasting improvements to our self confidence.
Year in, year out, we make resolutions, don’t we? These are typically resolutions that will help us improve ourselves (or our perception of ourselves). However year after year we fail to keep these resolutions (according to Statistics Brain, only 8% of people are successful in achieving their New Year resolutions – wow!) Often, out of frustration with ourselves, we seek out various self-improvement programs and books. It’s no wonder the number of self-help books is on the rise.
Many people nowadays read self-help books and enroll in some new self-improvement program. They wanted to lose weight, quit smoking, begin exercising, read faster, improve their personality, or learn new skills. Most people embark on such programs because they are discontented with themselves. They believe that if that reading a book or watching a video will make the difference. They believe that making an external change, it will change the way they feel inside.
It is surprising that most people get it all wrong! Actually, it works the opposite way. CHANGE MUST BEGIN FROM WITHIN.
To feel better about ourselves and to make a positive change the process starts inside, with a change in thoughts and way of thinking. This change of thought often leads to a change in lifestyle. When we improve the way we think and our mindset, we will notice a shift in our behavior and perspective, and start to see ourselves in a better light. We become more content in ourselves and that feeling of contentment translates itself into confidence.
This change of thinking and in mindset is what will make the lasting improvements.
Change Self-Doubt Into Self-Confidence
The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt ― Sylvia Plath
One of the keys to building self-confidence is to convert self-doubts into self-confidence. To change ‘I can’t’ into ‘I can’.
As you read through our blog, you will be introduced to simple, useful, logical, time-tested procedures that thousands of successful people have applied to change self-doubt into self-confidence. Some are daily exercises to build up your self-image, while others are reminders of using a positive mindset to help you stay on the right track when you become too reactive to successes and failures.
Just a reality check: Changing the way you feel about yourself cannot just happen overnight and will not happen ‘by magic’ without any work or effort. Quick fixes do not work. Lasting inner change requires time and effort.
Our society is enamored with instant solutions and quick fixes. We’re used to getting everything we want at the click of a button. However perhaps we can learn from an old proverb about the Chinese bamboo tree: “After the seed for this amazing tree is planted, you see nothing, absolutely nothing, for four years except for a tiny shoot coming out of a bulb. During those four years, all the growth is underground in a massive, fibrous root structure that spreads wide and deep in the earth. But then on the following year, the Chinese bamboo tree grows up to eighty feet!” This proverb illustrates the virtue of patience and a deeper appreciation of lasting change.
And it’s the same with building self confidence. As we said at the beginning, we can’t just jump online and buy a confidence upgrade. We can, however, take the slow and steady approach. We can plant the seeds of our own self confidence now and keep nourishing and nurturing it until our self confidence grows and blossoms to become an integral part of who we are.
And Now For The Good News
So, now some good news! The good news is that confidence is a product accessible to everyone. This is a trait that can be taught, nurtured and built over the years, at any stage in life.
Dr. Karl Menninger once wrote, “Fears are educated into us, and they can, if they wish, be educated out.” Confidence can be educated into us too and this is what we are going to set out to do.
Self Confidence Quest Menu
Here’s a summary of what you’ll find in each Self Confidence Quest post. Click on the link to go to the relevant page:
- Self-Confidence For Creative Business Owners – Introduction: why does self-confidence matter for creative business owners? What are the unique challenges we face?
- What Is Self-Confidence? – Before we dive into tips and techniques for boosting self-confidence, let’s look at what self-confidence is. And importantly, what it isn’t.
- YOU ARE HERE Change I Can’t Into I Can – An important part of self-confidence is a subtle change in mindset.
- How Self-Confidence Affects Our Lives – How self-confidence impacts our lives and why self-confidence and success often go hand-in-hand.
- Self-Confidence and Ability – Why developing our skills (the know what, know why and know how factors that affect how we do things) will help to super-charge your self-confidence.
- Positive Thinking and Self Confidence – Self-confidence and positive thinking are two sides of the same coin. Learn how to think positively to help boost your self-confidence (and if you’d like to dive deeper into how you can power your business with positive thinking, don’t forget to check out our Positive Thinking Quest.
- Overcome Self Defeating Thoughts and Habits – Often we derail our own self-confidence with self-defeating thoughts. We give ourselves reasons why we can’t do something and therefore don’t even start. Learn how to battle self-defeating thoughts and give your self-confidence the opportunity to shine.
- How Our Early Years Shaped Us – In order to really understand why we are lacking self-confidence, taking a look back at our early years can help to shed light on where we are now. If we can understand what has shaped our confidence in ourselves we can better understand what we need to do to address this.
- Find Your Best Self – Well, that’s why you’ve joined us here at Best Self Quest 🙂 Finding our best self is key to becoming self-confident. If you love who you are, others will love you too. And from that comes self-confidence.
- The Inner Filter – Learn about your inner filter. The inner filter is what stops us from believing the positive things that other people see in us. Overcome the inner-filter and you’ll release yourself from the shackles that lack of self-confidence brings.
- Give Your Best – Give your best and let your self-confidence soar! In this post we look at tips for giving your best and how to concentrate on what you are good at and face up to the things you’re not so good at 🙂
- Stop Making Comparisons – That’s it. Stop! Making comparisons is human nature, however, it is also damaging to our self-confidence. In this post we look at ways to stop the negative habit of comparing ourselves to others.
- The Origins of Self Criticism – In order to build self-confidence we must stop criticism. But where does self-criticism come from? In order to stop criticising ourselves, we must know more about where it comes from and why we do it.
- Listen To Yourself – Are you stopping yourself from being more self-confident? In this post we share a great tip for helping to understand what part we play in our own battle between self-confidence and self-doubt.
- 15 Ways To Boost Your Self Confidence – Here are 15 ways to boost your self-confidence. Not every tip is going to work for every person. Try them and see what works best for you.
- Friendly Inner Dialog – Stop your mind from working against you! Allow yourself friendly inner-dialog and this will help to support you in your quest for increased self-confidence.
- Prepare For Self-Confidence – Self-confidence will come with preparation. Learn how to prepare and plan to become a more self-confident version of you.
- Surround Yourself With Like-Minded People – Know what? Self-confidence is catching! Surround yourself with self-confident and supportive people.
- Statements of Affirmation – Here we have some statements of affirmation to share with you. If you’ve never tried using these to help shift your mindset, now is the time!
- The Last Word – Winding up the self-confidence quest for creative entrepreneurs!